Monday, July 30, 2012

Who Killed Mr. Chippendale?

     One of my favorite novels to teach my 7th graders is Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse.  The main reason is because it's written in free-verse instead of narration, and the students are always intimidated by the book's appearance.  I especially love the initial reaction of the boys, who make typical comments like, "Poetry is stupid" or "This book is for girls because it has poetry".  So you're probably wondering why I look forward to this novel if these are the attitudes I encounter.  It's because of the transformation that occurs when the kids finally GET IT...that moment in the classroom where they finally see the image being created by the words; the looks on their faces when a string of words transports them to their own memory or to understanding what is happening in the poem.  By the time we finish the novel, not all the students are on board with poetry, but at least half of them will say that they really enjoyed the novel.  And to me, that is winning half the battle.
     Robert Chippendale is a high school English teacher who is shot while running around the high school track as he does every morning.  Author Mel Glenn first builds suspense by informing the reader about Mr. Chippendale's morning routine and how after he punches in at work "He will never touch the card again" (Glenn, p. 1).  Before he begins his morning jog, he is accosted on the track by the sexless figure in the red-hooded sweatshirt.  Right away, I wondered if this anonymous character was introduced because he/she would be the trigger person?  After the murder occurs, as I read the reactions of the other characters, I continually wondered if one of those people was the individual in the red-hooded sweatshirt.
     As I mentioned earlier, imagery is very important in poetry.  Because the author is using a limited amount of words, the choice of words used is of utmost significance.  In different poems, Glenn uses strong figurative language to paint a picture for his readers.  In describing crowded hallways, "People bounce off each other like pinballs off bumpers" (Glenn, p. 26) or in depicting one student's gratitude for the deceased teacher after he corrects her college essay, "I soon came to realize he was handing me the keys to my future" (Glenn, p. 52).
     Another aspect of the poetry that I enjoyed was the freedom to play with the form of the writing.  The interview between the detective and guidance counselor is arranged in a playful structure, which allowed me to understand that I was reading not only the questions and answers, but was also seeing their internal thoughts as the questions were being asked and the answers were being given.  My favorite set of poems were the ones narrated by the twin sisters on pages 10-11.  Celia and Delia Campbell each begin their poems identically but by the fifth line, the difference between the two is apparent.  Celia's poem is praiseworthy, while Delia's poem is condemning.  Yet, they are set up in parallel structure and would be identical except for key word substitutions.  In Celia's poem, she says, "I hope no one sees me crying.  I hope his soul goes straight to heaven" (Glenn, p. 10), while her sister's poem counters, "I hope no one sees me laughing.  I hope his soul goes straight to hell" (Glenn, p. 11).
     I really enjoyed Who Killed Mr. Chippendale? and I think it has a place in the classroom.  I feel that students would like this story because kids tend to like mysteries, and this story isn't about an ordinary mystery.  This one is about murder, and that alone would ratchet up the book's appeal.  In a middle school setting, I tend to find that the gorier the material, the more interest it garners.  Only 100 pages in length, it is too short for a literary study, but would do well in supplementing a poetry unit.  In her essay, "Why Teach Poetry?", Carol Clark mentions that students who are reluctant readers might be encouraged to ready shorter passages because they appear more manageable (from personal experience, I've always used this point when promoting Out of the Dust; "Look kids, a page that only has 20 lines!").  Who Killed Mr. Chippendale? is told through free-verse poems that reveal the inner thoughts of Mr. Chippendale's colleagues, students, and neighbors.  With the exception of Angela Falcone, the guidance counselor and ex-girlfriend of Mr. Chippendale, the other characters' thoughts are succinct and usually expressed in one page.  Clark also points out that "understanding poetry demands one pay close attention to the text."  If students learn this strategy, it can be transfered to enhancing their reading comprehension skills in all other disciplines, and not just literature.
     

3 comments:

  1. I am going to have to pick up Out of the Dust. It sounds very intriguing to include in my poetry unit- I know you warned me about it being very sad, and I feel a lot of reading material does include darkness, but it is good to have students really in the zone of reflecting. I agree this is not an ordinary mystery, and kids would really be interested in this book.
    I also didn't include imagery in my reflection- great point! I was picturing kids every time a new person spoke, and imagined what expressions they would have. Imagery is difficult sometimes to pick up on for kids- but this book of poems is a great tool to use for that- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, if you ever need a book to fill historical fiction, Out of the Dust is applicable for that genre, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might also like to add Karen Hesse's other book "Witness" to your list. It is also a mystery story..........takes place during the 1920s and involves a murder, the Ku Klux Klan, prejudice etc. It, too, is written in free verse. Catherine, I think that you have captured the intent of Mel Glenn as he put this piece of literature together. This partticular work has in which to introduce poetry to students. Dr. Ries

    ReplyDelete