Friday, July 6, 2012

From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun

     In chapter 3 of Young Adult Literature in the Classroom:  Reading It, Teaching It, Loving It, the claim is made that "...literature also helps free us from the stereotypes that we have about those whose backgrounds are different from our own" (Samuels, pg. 48).  From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun presents a brutally honest story of an African-American male teenager coming to terms with his mother's homosexuality.  From the opening chapters, it's apparent that Melanin is not open to homosexuality.  "The other kind of 'faggy' was the really messed-up kind.  That kind actually wanted to be with other guys the way I get to feeling when Angie comes around.  That kind made me want to puke every time I thought about it-which wasn't a lot" (Woodson, pg. 19).  Melanin is shocked and upset when his mother reveals that she is in love with a white woman.  His reaction is painfully candid and I appreciated that the author, Jacqueline Woodson, didn't pull any punches with his response.  Melanin is accusatory and even throws slurs at his mother, "You're a dyke!...Nobody wants you...That's why my father disappeared and even the ugly guys didn't come back.  Nobody...Please, Mama, be anything.  But please don't be a dyke" (Woodson, pgs. 58-59).  Melanin is humiliated by Mama's revelation and fearful of the neighborhood repercussions that are to come from it.
    Prior to his mom's news, Melanin walks on the beach and reflects on an earlier time when he encountered prejudice from a group of white boys on the same beach.  He recalls how their racist comments made him feel "...stupid (then), dark and ugly.  Alone" (Woodson, pg. 44).  I can imagine that Melanin harbored the same feelings as people who are afraid to unveil their sexuality.  Recently, journalist Anderson Cooper released a statement to the media.  He wrote, "The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."  Cooper put this information out there because he didn't want people to think he was concealing anything from the public.  I think that in sharing her sexuality with her son, Mama wanted to erase the darkness she felt in hiding the truth.  It took a lot of courage for her to share her lifestyle with her son.  After all, she had a choice.  She could have harbored her secret and remained in the dark, which would deny her a happy and comfortable life.
     I felt for Melanin's character because Woodson portrays him as a likable, sensitive kid.  He writes in a journal, collects stamps, is shy about calling a girl...he wasn't drawn as a macho, testosterone raging character.  And I wonder if that characterization was deliberate on her part.  Because if he was a sensitive type, it would seem more in line that he wouldn't have had such a negative reaction to his mom's news.   It was hard to see how the closeness between mother and sun was threatened by Melanin's inner prejudice.  It was hard to read the sections where he rejects his mother and even tells her "Sometimes I hate to think that you're my mother" (Woodson, pg. 72).  It was hard to like Melanin in those parts, even though I knew he was having a realistic reaction to the news.  Another thought I have involves Mama's girlfriend, Kristin.  Woodson chose to make her a white woman and I wonder if Melanin would have reacted so strongly if she was African-American?  It seems like Melanin's humiliation is compounded by the fact that Kristin is white.  He even goes so far to tell his mom, "'Cause she's white and I'm black" when Mama asks him what makes him think she can't love them both (Woodson, pg. 105).
     There are so many parts of this book I want to discuss:  how Melanin's relationship with Angie could be compared to Mama's relationship with Kristin; the demise of his friendship with Sean while Ralphael remains a reliable friend; how Kristin finally breaks through to Melanin when she unveils how she lost her family when she came out to them.  But I feel like this post would never end if I started to look into each of those situations!
     I have so much to say about this book.  I think it is an important book, but I would opt to keep it in my classroom library instead of use it as a read aloud.  From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun is sophisticated in its tone and subject; I don't know if my 6th graders would be mature enough to  comprehend its material.   Nowadays middle school kids have more exposure to homosexuality from television, movies, and novels.  However, as aware as they are, it doesn't always mean they are accepting, and I think of the tragedy that resulted from Tyler Clementi's story.  I do feel it is important to include literature in the classroom that includes homosexuality.  If I were to use a book with my 6th graders that discussed sexual character,  then I would choose The Misfits by James Howe. It was published years ago and it centered around a group of middle school friends who were on the outside looking in.  They band together and decide to run as a ticket for the student council positions.  Their platform is based on the slogan "No Name Calling".  One of the four students is Joe, an openly gay student, and the story is told through shifting point of view.  Since each character gets his/her own chapter, the reader does get to see Joe's perspective on what it's like to be a gay 7th grader.  Hopefully the outcome would be to open their minds to differences and to celebrate what makes each of us individual.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that the quote within a quote on p. 48 of the text is also applicable here............."Without a complete vision of all that it means to be human, we live impoverished and isolate lives............." I believe that Woodson unearths a great deal of human emotions felt by her characters and forces us to think about issues that we may never have taken the time to consider. I wonder if your hesitancy in using this novel as a classroom reading assignment is a bit too conservative in this day and age. I would venture to guess that in each of your classes you have students who have either two moms or two dads raising them at home. I also believe that the same-sex marriage laws that are being codified within many states throughout the country are enabling those who live an "alternative life style" to do so without hiding their choices. In addition, I believe that our young people see this as a non-issue. Love it love and I do believe that Melanin came to realize this! I do like your alternative choice and believe that it addresses the issues of acceptance as well, but would encourage to confront this topic head-on some one of these years.
    P. 62......."I could not stand having her touch me but if she wasn't holding me then who would I be? Where would I be? Alone. Almost fourteen and alone. No mother. No father. No nobody." How do you think his mom handles the rejection that she was facing? How do you feel Kristin handled Melanin's desire to keep her out of his life? Was she patient, understanding?

    Melanin was embarrassed by his mother's choices and actions. Are there students in your class with heterosexual parents who have done things to embarass them as well? Good topic for discussing love and forgiveness. Where do this wonderful writings on Melanin's part fit into the story? How do they help?

    Nice analysis. Dr. Ries

    ReplyDelete