Saturday, June 23, 2012

Reflections on Black and White

     "How do you want people to remember you?  I wrote that people should remember I was a good person.  That I watched out for my family and friends and never bothered anybody.  And that I tried my best at everything I ever did" (Volponi, pg. 115).  Marcus Brown, the African-American protagonist in Paul Volponi's Black and White, struggles with these thoughts as he composes an essay on how he wants to be remembered by his high school.  This inner conflict supports an idea mentioned in chapter 3 of the text, Young Adult Literature in the Classroom:  Reading It, Teaching It, Loving It.  The author of that chapter, Barbara Samuels, states that self-identity is a major theme in young adult novels.  Marcus's turmoil stems from the fact that he was arrested and indicted for being an accessory to a shooting.  How can he be thought of as a good person when he has committed a crime?
     While reading this novel, I found myself caring more about Marcus than Eddie, his best friend and the shooter in the aforementioned crime.  Often, I found myself silently yelling at Marcus to roll over on Eddie so that he would receive a lighter punishment.  After all, Eddie was the trigger man and committed the more serious offense; the only advantage he has is that no witness can clearly identify him.  Marcus finally loses his cool with Eddie and explodes at him, "We got in this mess together.  But it's just me paying for it.  And I haven't complained one f-ing inch about it.  And all you want to know from me is how clean I can keep you" (Volponi, pg. 124-25).
     This exchange brings to mind how bad decisions not only affect the immediate moment, but create a ripple effect.  Because Marcus accepts a plea deal for lesser jail time, he forfeits a college scholarship.  That in turn directly affects his family - no college scholarship equals no chance to play professional basketball.  This realization translates into his mom and sister continuing to live in a small apartment and his mom continuing her work as a seamstress.  Meanwhile, Eddie is still allowed to play on their high school basketball team and keep his college scholarship.  Eddie's story does end on a vague note.  The reader isn't quite sure what will happen with Eddie's court case, but he still hasn't made any sacrifices like Marcus has.
     I teach 6th and 7th grade in an affluent middle school, and I would probably steer my older students toward the novel.  While they probably could not identify with characters' conflict of not having money to buy top line sneakers or money for senior class activities, they would understand the idea of making poor choices.  In my 6th grade class, we read Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen and decision making is a popular discussion topic when we analyze the protagonist, Cole Matthews.  I like to emphasize the idea that today's decisions are tomorrow's realities, and that's why it is important to realize how deeply consequential your choices are.  After all, the choices you make will determine how people will remember you.

5 comments:

  1. Can you think of any people that you have known along the way who have made very bad decisions that have caused them and their families great pain for many years to come? What were those poor decisions? I am thinking of the famous case of the Glen Ridge football players whose indiscretions followed them for years and years and the two boys who set the fire a Seton Hall anumber of years ago. What might Marcus and Eddie have done other than "steal from others" and "hold people hostage" in order to gain the items that they wanted......new sneakers and money for school events? I think that you have done a wonderful job in pointing out Why were these two young men were short sighted, however why would you suggest that Marcus implicate Eddie? Do you think he would have been happy with himself had he done so? Given our juvenile justice system and the "push" to keep the record of those under 18 unpublished, do you feel that Marcus may still have learned from his mistake and been given a second chance? On the other hand, what lesson is Eddie learning and what do you believe will happen to him in the future? I think that Eddie is the more seriously affected of the two young men. I would be interested to know your thoughts on that. We will talk when we meet. Did you, per chance, note that the text was different in the chapters for each of the boys? And indication that justice is different for each of the boys, perhaps? I like your use of "Touching Spirit Bear" as another example of a novel that will teach the importance of making good decisions. Both are excellent discussion starters. Dr. Ries

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post about feeling apathy towards Eddie. To me, this who novel was geared towards the emotional response of Marcus's fate. I liked the quote you brought up between Eddie and Marcus when he finally shook up for himself. To me, I thought, "YES" finally he is saying something. However, the author kept the conversation tamed. He did not have them interact as often as I wanted, or fight. I guess it is a guy thing too. Guys don't stand there and argue. Also, to comment on Dr. Reis's question, I think the justice system in our country needs reform. If Marcus had been tried as a minor, yes he would have learned his lesson. However, he does need to experience repercussions. Do I think two years in a state prison justifies a consequence? Over and beyond. Only from what I heard, I cannot imagine young boys in a state penitentiary. The race also makes a big difference. If Eddie were to be sent away, he has a better chance at doing his time, leaving on good behavior, getting accepted into school, and possibly even playing ball. Marcus? Not the same. He will forever had the title attached to his name, and being black with only hold him in a stereotyped classification. Marcus realizes this when he talks about Eddie affording a big time lawyer while his mom barely has two dimes to rub together.
    I don't think I would go younger than ninth grade with this book.. Maybe higher eighth. The language is sophisticated, and the context is for someone who can handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a relevant website for me and it made my day . do Americans need visa for Turkey. yes of course , why not. Turkish visa is compulsory for American citizens to visit turkey.Americans play a very important role in Turkey Tourism .

    ReplyDelete